[discuss] NetMundial Initiative

Janis Karklins karklinsj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 07:39:09 UTC 2014

As being one of invited to the launch event of the WEF initiative I would
like to share information that I possess.

The World Economic Forum is an international institution committed to
improving the state of the world through public-private cooperation
(statement on the website). WEF communities are various and more can be
seen at http://www.weforum.org/communities. Organizationally the WEF is
membership organization where big multinationals from all over the world
are widely represented. The WEF invites representatives of governments,
academia, civil society, world of arts participate in their meetings and
engage with key industry leaders. This explains why the invitees list is
one you see.

I was told that the initiative is geared towards bringing to attention of
the industry leaders and key government representatives Internet governance
issues, emphasising the need of preservation and promotion of the
multi-stakeholder model, as well as supporting the IGF as a
multi-stakeholder discussion platform by enlarging participation in its
work of those companies and governments that haven't been involved until
know.

I know that Alan Markus intends to present and discuss the initiative at
the 2014 IGF meeting and there will be ample opportunity for the IG
community to clarify details.

I hope that this information is useful.
JK