[discuss] NetMundial Initiative

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 22 16:23:15 UTC 2014

Indeed, in response to Bill, I was not suggesting that the WEF would
take over the role the IGF has played for the past ten years.  My fear
is that, as Jeremy indicated, the IGF, despite all the rhetoric, in some
quarters has been declared a dead parrot (in Pythonesque terms).  There
is a risk in any new stakeholder gathering, that new movement will take
place with new ideas, and exactly the scenario that Wolfgang describes
could start to play itself out, in the new power structure forming at
the WEF.  Every assembly is a new power structure....with new risks,
particularly for a movement as weak as the IGF, that certainly appears
to be past pining for the fiords....
Apologies to those unfamiliar with the dead parrot sketch, it is
available on utube.  Apologies also to those who think the IGF is alive
and well...while I still profess profound ignorance of the inner
workings of the IGF, I am in the camp that believes wishing will not
make it so, we need money, staff, a structure, accountability, and an
action plan, otherwise this is just busy work for civil society. I think
we can get some of this at the upcoming IGF, as Marilyn C has
indicated....and I would repeat.....please pass the hat while you are at
WEF.  If that is Fadi's plan, I think it is a capital idea.  Speaking of
capitals, though, which governments are going to the August 28th
meeting, do we know?
cheers Stephanie