[discuss] NetMundial Initiative

Raul Echeberria echeberria at isoc.org
Sat Aug 23 18:43:02 UTC 2014

Hi everybody.

I think our main objective should remain being the strengthening of the IGF.
The Netmundial Initiative is an important thing that it is happening right now,and it deserves our attention, but it shouldn’t constitute the central point of the iGF in a few days.

Of course we have to follow the Net Mundial Initiative and ensure that if some processes are implemented, those are transparent, bottom up and open to all stakeholders. The IGF is the standard and so, we shouldn’t be satisfied with the implementation of anything with less guaranties and participation opportunities than the IGF itself.

The IGF is in my view the most innovative experience in international governance (not only in Internet governance) and we are very fortunate to be part of this historical moment. We can’t loose the opportunity of continue evolving it and improving it. If other processes help to that objective, they are very very welcome, but let’s be careful to not create distractive or competing things. It depends on all of us.

I look forward to seeing more information about the plans for NMI. The announcement mentions a global meeting next year. Remember that IGF 2015 in Brazil is expected to be a key meeting where we could evaluate the 10 years of IGF. And to be honest I can’t imagine a better place for evaluating whether the IGF is adopting or not the Netmundial recommendations.

I’m always positive and always willing to support new initiatives if they contribute to improve Internet, Internet governance and Internet as a platform for promoting social, human and economic development of people worldwide.

See you in Istanbul.

Raúl