[discuss] Internet Governance and the NETmundial Initiative: A Flawed Attempt at Turning Words into Action

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Fri Aug 29 10:21:36 UTC 2014

Jeremy:

Just to be clear,  a number of business representatives, including
ICC-BASIS, have called into question the lack of transparency, bottom up
inclusion and consultation in this process as well as the need to better
clarify how this Initiative adds separate value and is supportive rather
than duplicative of the  IGF.  Please also note that placing a number of
businesses on a guest list has little to do with actual inclusion of or
consultation with even the business community. We hope that these issues
in creation will not preclude the ability of Net Mundial Initiative to
become something useful to the broader communities and would strongly
urge that the ensuing 6 month consultation period be open to both
procedural and substantive improvements; nothing should be final until
that consultation is completed.   While business welcomes the ability to
improve the effectiveness of the IGF (best practices, capturing
discussions, knowledge transfer, capacity building, better addressing
developing country concerns...), we believe, as you note, that the fact
that IGF is not a negotiating form is one of its major virtues.  To that
end, we hope that this IGF is able to focus on the work at hand related
to its further improvement and not be overly distracted by the Net
Mundial Initiative.

Joe