[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Bob Omondi omondibob at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 19:00:33 UTC 2014

This is what the IAB had to say about this in may 2000 (
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2826.txt )

"Summary

"To remain a global network, the Internet requires the existence of a
globally unique public name space. The DNS name space is a hierarchical
name space derived from a single, globally unique root. This is a technical
constraint inherent in the design of the DNS. Therefore it is not
technically feasible for there to be more than one root in the public DNS.
That one root must be supported by a set of coordinated root servers
administered by a unique naming authority.
"Put simply, deploying multiple public DNS roots would raise a very strong
possibility that users of different ISPs who click on the same link on a
web page could end up at different destinations, against the will of the
web page designers."

Regards
Bob.