[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Sun Feb 2 20:19:02 UTC 2014

The second paragraph sums it up nicely

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Domains
http://www.blacknight.co/
http://blog.blacknight.com/
http://www.technology.ie
Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
Locall: 1850 929 929
Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
Fax. +353 (0) 1 4811 763
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mneylon
-------------------------------
________________________________
From: discuss-bounces at 1net.org [discuss-bounces at 1net.org] on behalf of Bob Omondi [omondibob at gmail.com]
Sent: 02 February 2014 19:00
To: Ben fuller
Cc: discuss at 1net.org List
Subject: Re: [discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

This is what the IAB had to say about this in may 2000 ( http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2826.txt )

"Summary

"To remain a global network, the Internet requires the existence of a globally unique public name space. The DNS name space is a hierarchical name space derived from a single, globally unique root. This is a technical constraint inherent in the design of the DNS. Therefore it is not technically feasible for there to be more than one root in the public DNS. That one root must be supported by a set of coordinated root servers administered by a unique naming authority.

"Put simply, deploying multiple public DNS roots would raise a very strong possibility that users of different ISPs who click on the same link on a web page could end up at different destinations, against the will of the web page designers."

Regards
Bob.