[discuss] Clarifications on some recent Changes

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Feb 6 01:51:10 UTC 2014

Michel;
:-) Guess which country it is that you are alluding to.

Your scenario is quite likely. And then?

1. Politicians

We want the world to address its problems. There are many ways of
doing so, and diplomats are made for that. They are using us? So what?

I am not worried about whether you are right. I am just worried about
whether we are wrong (I think we will remedy your "no"'s). What I see
is that politics is teaching us a lesson. They make Sao Paulo. and
us? What is our "MS IG" doing?

2. Techies

Techies, with the help of ISOC, have done a great thing during the
last three years. They published RFC 6852 and allied. They prepared
Netix. This is not perfect - and this is why my appeal to ISOC is
pending - because:

- they did not considered the Layer Six/Intelligent Use Interface
standardization, in addition of the W3C. This will hamper their
EDI/ONS deployment.
- they only took care of one single type of economy  the market
oriented one, and forgot the planned one (I would say institutional)
and the Free (Libre) one. The internet proceeds from the three: this
was the lesson of RFC 3869.

RFC 6852 needs to be endorsed by the IUCG at IETF, but this is not
possible if there is not an ultimate common MS decision appeal
process: when computers and people conflict, people's long-term
interest is to prevail. This is what the French Constitution imposes
on us French people and makes it an obligation for us to fight for,
under the name of precautionary duty within the context of the
principles of subsidiarity and substitution (RFC 1958 and 5895 show
the internet architecture does respect).

3. Ourselves

What we should want to see emerging from Sao Paulo and further
meetings is some open MS addition to what you explain. I mean, an
economy where the three
(1) free-market,
(2) academic-&-planned-institutional, as well as
(3) users-FLOSS
economies concert together; and their needs, capabilities, and
technologies network together.

4. Our sociotechnical priority?

 From the debate on the namespace  and the near-consensus on a broad
MS-administered name space as the best and most stable solution, I
conclude that we need and might agree upon a  kind of software and
knowledge concerted economy licence, so that all the networked forces
can work together and reach a "French globalité",  i.e. more than the
sum of all the contributions in every area, due to the negentropy of
the MS synergy.

I think for a long time to such a license. It would permit to jointly
capitalize on "gray cells" rather than to conflict on financial
differences, without removing commercial competition, free
contributions to the common interest nor limiting technical and
societal innovation. Let us leave politicians find a political patch,
and let us try to build a sociotechnical basis that could weld that patch.

This is probably our challenge. To make sure that our society is in
tune with the closed, open, and free technology triplet that we
concert and the MS governance of their use that we want to organize.
We need to come up with what I would call a co-license for the
development of an economy concerting the Libre, institutions, and
commerce ("CLIC/DECLIC"). We have so many lawyers and techies on this
list that we should be able to help networking a text that could be
acceptable to everyone (cf. RFC 3271).

Actually, this istarts from a full consideration of the technical,
academic and open-code/lead-users communities. And to try to concert
their economies to ease the use and the governance of what they produce.

jfc