[discuss] Clarifications on some recent Changes

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Thu Feb 6 17:26:38 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-05, at 21:05 PM, Chip Sharp (chsharp) <chsharp at cisco.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the explanation below.  I suppose I stumbled upon the forum before you had a chance to announce it.
> I was only just able to subscribe to the discuss list, though I've been following it via the archive.  It seems I stumbled upon an interesting corner case when using IPv6 between mail servers.*
>
> In short, I think it is useful to have a periodic summary of the discussions and try to organize the issues discussed.
> The success of moving from mail list discussion to forum-based discussion can depend on the implementation.  I'm willing to work with it though if it helps organize the discussion and if I can still post via email.

Yes that is possible by setting your preferences (navigate to Account --> Preferences). You can subscribe to automatically watch by e-mail particular topics and get a notification of any new topics/posts. From your mail client you can also reply directly to any topic (by replying to the notification e-mail). Your response will be displayed in the forum inline with other replies. This topic has been opened already by Avri on the forum itself.

[There is request to put all this down in a user manual which will be being worked on]

> There are times when traveling when I can read and send email, but not use a web-based discussion forum. I've been using mail list discussion for over 25 years so I'm used to it.  I haven't found web-based discussion fora to be as easy to use.
> But I'm willing to work with it.

Ok.

> As for logging in, I'd prefer not to have to do so, but it isn't going to stop me from participating.

If you are using your e-mail you will not need to login every time.

Maybe many have missed it but I have mentioned the work on all of these changes in my mail of 18 Dec 2013 where I was announcing the transition of the list from @nro.net to 1net.org.
https://nro.net/pipermail/i-coordination/2013-December/000754.html

> Also, though I know this isn't something you can do, it would be useful for the Steering Committee to publish summary minutes of its meetings/calls.

Of course this will be happening soon. The archive of its mailing list / work is already public.

- a.