[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 21:09:27 UTC 2014

George,

In a few words: yes, I believe that an NGO status seated in
Switzerland is the best choice (as it was in 1998). I agree that
some degree of multi-government consensus is required as part of
the multi-stakeholder approach. I think that the equivalent of the
Red Cross convention is overkill, however; an NGO can be set up
with no such backing.

One thing that I haven't seen discussed here, and is part of the
problem, is greed. There's no doubt that many of the strange things
that have happened in the TLD world over the last 15 years have been
motivated by greed. We need the new dispensation to include mechanisms
that reduce rather than increase the impact of greed on decision-making
abou the contents of the root zone.

Regards
   Brian