[discuss] List announcement "robust governance in the digital age"

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:45:30 UTC 2014

Michael,

You have now posed the questions.  There are 5 people on the 1net steering committee who purport to come from civil society.  Perhaps these questions could be more appropriately directed to them.  All members of the steering committee have a responsibility to maintain a liaison with their stakeholder group.

I, as well as others, would like to see this list used to discuss Internet governance issues, problems and solutions.  I understand that you have a strong need to focus on legitimacy, but perhaps it’s better for that discussion to occur with “management,” i.e. the steering committee, rather than with us workers at the problem solving level.

I hope that a discussion of legitimacy will not become one of the significant threads on this list.

Regards,

George

On Feb 12, 2014, at 5:03 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good to me... Perhaps we could begin our exploration through some transparency on the part of 1Net as per the set of questions that I posed on the Governance/BB lists but I'll post here as well, since none of 1Net CS appointees to their Steering Committee seem willing to do so as I requested.
>
> 1.	Where did 1Net come from?  Did it arise spontaneously one day from Adiel’s brow or was there background discussion, review, confirmation? If so who was involved in those discussions? Is there a trail of any sort linking 1Net to earlier discussions, authorizations, decision making processes. (Here one wouldn’t necessarily expect a formal process but an indication of the informal process and who was involved in that process would provide something of an “audit trail”.)

<<trimmed>>