[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Sun Feb 16 23:28:03 UTC 2014

Keith,

Thanks for the additional details regarding the ccTLDs and their relationship to ICANN.  I purposefully limited what I said about the ccTLDs to avoid covering these nuances.  I mainly wanted to highlight the crisp distinction contractually between gTLDs and ccTLDs.  gTLDs exist only via contract from ICANN and necessarily adhere to the conditions of that contract.  That includes specification of who speaks for the gTLD and hence who IANA listens to regarding changes to the gTLD's portion of the root zone.

The relationships with the ccTLDs rest on other and, as you've described, more varied arrangements, and hence the question of who IANA listens to when a change is requested for a ccTLD are also more subtle.

Steve