[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 01:04:18 UTC 2014

On 13/02/2014 10:47, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> 3)      De-nationalization of the IANA function; ie., removal of USG control and delegation of it to ICANN. Note well: this does NOT require exclusion of governments from all involvement in ICANN.

There is no need to delegate anything new to ICANN. The global IANA
function was delegated to them already, 14 years ago (with a six months
notice clause). That's why I keep banging on about simply switching off
the NTIA contract - it's a necessary and sufficient step.

Moving ICANN to a more neutral jurisdiction is a separable step,
but should also be on the agenda.

    Brian