[discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 3, Issue 67

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Feb 17 17:27:20 UTC 2014

Well that's a conjecture that even senior ICANN officials have made publicly within the past few days---

Asked if it's practical for ICANN and the IANA functions to disentangle themselves from the U.S., [ICANN Vice President-Europe Nigel] Hickson said the U.S. Congress could probably pass legislation to change the relationship, but it would have to be done in a way that satisfies both political parties.
-- "European Commission Policy Statement Envisions Less U.S. Influence in Internet Governance"; Washington Internet Daily, February 13, 2014

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050