[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Feb 18 13:56:00 UTC 2014

At 10:57 18/02/2014, Avri Doria wrote:
>I believe the AOC review mechanisms are the ICANN accountability
>mechanism.  I am still waiting to see in practice whether the
>current ICANN regime takes it more seriously, in practice - not just
>in words, than the previous regime.
>
>While California Law may make the Board supreme at ICANN, in
>actuality it isn't, it is the Review Teams that are, and any failure
>of the Board and the Corporation to response appropriately is the
>sign of ICANN not being accountable.  For now, I still think it may
>possibly be living up to its accountability structure, but I am not
>a very trusting sort when it comes to corporations, so am waiting to
>see what is done with the ATRT2 report.

Dear Avri,

I followed the discussion regarding US sovereignty on my old file. I
think that everything has been said. Laws are for the inside. Power
is for elsewhere.

Snowden tried to make it understood: never trust another power than
your own and fully use your capacities.
Shoot first, discuss later. Because this is what others will do.

Look, I am French, from a European country. This list was created by
an African. Why do you want me to care about US and Californian laws?
All I know is that these laws can be a threat to my use of my network
that I pay for with my money. Until now, I feared crime more than the
USG; this is why I did not fully explain VGNs/Layer6 along RFCs earlier.

Snowden has changed the threats balance on me, in showing that
internet technology was too vulnerable to national security and
private intelligence agencies and, therefore, most probably to
cyber-attacks, and that my private data were probably safer at Google
than at the NSA (recursive "curl -O" for 1.7 million secret files
scattered around the world). Mike Roberts (First ICANN CEO and
instrumental in its creation) then explained that anything regarding
the internet US umbrella would be legitimately scrutinized by
influent patriot US Congressmen. Now that everything is better known
by everyone, I estimated that now the Congressmen would protect us
against crime, we could protect ourselves against US Congressmen, and
force our own representatives to carry their national precautionary duty.

Therefore, the discussion now is how the US Gov's, and the French
Gov's, and the British Gov's, and the Chinese Gov's, etc. (the list
is in ISO 3166) and corporations', and the CS NGOs', and the
entrepreneurs', and FLOSS, etc.  *precautionary powerful capacities*
can digitally protect us now, inside, outside, and tomorrow.

You are a CS techie: one of the first to decide, for your own
operations. Will you join the creation of a (FLOSS Internet Name and
Numbers Secondary Information Center) FLINN-SIC, incorporated outside
of the US and destined to cooperate with the other VGNICs, including
ICANN as the USG's VGNIC, toward the stability, security, and
development of the internet and its subsequent higher layer strata?

jfc