[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Feb 19 15:04:45 UTC 2014

Steve
Building now on your observations and trying to discern their larger significance for the IANA globalization, and building also on the comments of D. Conrad regarding possible separation of the signing function from the editing function, let me pose a few questions:

>A more likely scenario is some sort of accidental error due to
>either human or system error.  There was an erroneous publication
>of a part of an entry about a decade ago.  It did not disable the
>TLD and it was fixed quickly.  It also led to some improvements
>in the coordination and checking among the root managers.

Is there still a need for some kind of audit function of the sort currently performed by NTIA? If there is, would the IETF or some technical body be in a better position to perform that function than government(s)? Or would saddling IETF with such a responsibility have negative side effects, such as politicizing it?

>Turning to your points, yes, it is theoretically possible for someone
>within the root zone management process to make unauthorized
>changes to the root zone, and there may be value in strengthening
>the technical processes to make it impossible to make a change
>without the cooperation of the TLD operator or an extraordinary
>process that requires enough people to be safe from capture.

Are you suggesting here that technical design could actually eliminate the need for the audit function?