[discuss] - questions of consent and influence

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Feb 21 11:57:13 UTC 2014

On Feb 21, 2014, at 3:12 AM, manning bill <bmanning at isi.edu> wrote:

> Reviewing the history of the gravitas that settled on Jon Postel in his role as IANA, a few things emerged:
> So for me,  two key elements of effective IG must include:
>
> - an ombudsman/boswellian role as documenting the authoritative state of affairs
> and
> - consent of the governed.
>
> Its hard to see both of these attributes in the proposals tabled to date.

Bill -

 I would phrase the two attributes slightly differently -

 - Voluntary consent of those participating in the registry to abide by
   Jon's decisions (in his role of ombudsman) with respect to the registry

 - Formal recognition of such consent in the form of a written agreement

 Both would appear to be worthwhile topics for discussion.

Thanks for the insightful walk through history!
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.