[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri Feb 21 12:29:05 UTC 2014

I am not sure we will make any progress by discussing things on this
principal level. Anyway, while there are good reasons to distrust
governments the important resource behind governments is the rule of law
including administrative law that both enables and constraints
government actions.

I cannot imagine any form of democracy that could do without rule of
law. Any future governance structure for ICANN and IANA functions will
have to generate or anchor itself in this kind of generalized norms.
Governments are one well-tested instantiation of such norms with known
stengths and weaknesses. Those who don't want to have governments
involved in the future governance structure need to find a good answer
to the question of how to replicate rule of law and the degree of
predictability it creates for all parties involved, including civil
society.

jeanette