[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

Peter Dengate Thrush barrister at chambers.gen.nz
Mon Feb 24 07:57:13 UTC 2014

This is an excellent debate on a crucial point.

While I completely agree with Milton's description of the way some members of the GAC, and occasionally the GAC as a whole behaves inside ICANN, and also with David's exemplification of that in recent times, I draw a different conclusion than the one reached (or implied, at least) by Milton.

I see the inclusion of the GAC inside ICANN in an advisory role as one of the crowning successes of ICANN.

Its a global first to have governments in an advisory, not supervisory or regulatory role.
That is an amazing situation for governments to find themselves in.
Its an extraordinary bulwark of the multistakeholder model.
And governments are growing used to their new role.

It is of some concern to me that governments in the GAC may make demands that their national laws would not deliver at home, but I see that can be used to great advantage.
First, it allows rule-making that may be most appropriate in the conditions.
Governments may be unable in their national legislatures for a variety of local conditions to get laws passed that are actually appropriate for the global internet. The most important question is "is it the right thing" not - "is there a law for it".

Second, to require national law as a precondition would start to subjugate ICANN to national legislatures; part of the benefit of this new system of governance is that ICANN should be flexible to adopt rules/policies of its own choosing. The other road leads to individual government veto over ICANN. The same point is true of international law, although the persuasive power of a relevant global treaty is likely to be much greater than a single of collection of national laws.

Third, the fact that there is no national or international law can be used by the Board as a ground for declining to follow GAC advice.

In other words, we have a flexible situation where ICANN can choose the best option for the Internet.

The crucial element in the operation of the model is the role played by the ICANN board, which, as most know, is not obliged to accept that advice.
If it doesn't, it is obliged to attempt rapprochement, then explain itself in writing.

The real focus should therefore be on the way the board exercises that power, and, as part of that focus, on the controls by the multistakeholder community on the Board.
That is where the "accountability" focus should continue be directed.

It will be contentious on occasions, and it will involve political trade-offs from time to time - as all policy-making does with all other elements of the multi-stakeholder- model.
(Strawman, anyone?)

Its a great thing to have the governments of the world working in an ICANN committee. Its a bad thing if their requests are not, in a measured and careful way, subjected to the appropriate analysis and balancing with other elements of the multi-stakeholder input. Its not the GAC's fault if, in stretching its political muscle, it starts to ask for more and more concessions to its views.

Its a bad thing too, if governments feel that genuinely appropriate measures it seeks in the public interest are defeated by special interest in ICANN, forcing them to abandon the GAC and seek better results via re-arranged Internet governance mechanisms.

Its a terrible thing if GAC requests are not met by a board that is resolute to maintain the whole of ICANN's integrity.

Its a tragedy if the community has insufficient accountability mechanisms to hold, and to keep the board to a proper accounting of its role in this balancing exercise.

regards

Peter