[discuss] rootservers

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:53:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:

> Marilyn, et al,
>
> Thanks.  Two comments about root servers...
>
> 1. A list of which countries have root servers and which do not is the
> beginning but not the end of the discussion.  The technical question is
> whether a locale is being served well enough.  "Well enough" is usually
> measured in terms of delay to get an answer to a look up, e.g. 89
> milliseconds, and reliability, e.g. answers are received 99.923% of the
> time.  (Both of the numbers in the previous sentence are illustrative and
> not related to any actual measurement.  I made them up as I typed.)  On the
> other hand, many people seem concerned with political questions, e.g. which
> countries are important enough to have root servers.  It would help the
> discussion to know what questions are being asked.  The list of root server
> locations may or may not be relevant.

For me, i am not really about the political aspect, just as you indicated
the more local the root is the better for us.

> 2. The root zone is just the top level of the DNS hierarchy.  After
> receiving an answer from a root zone server, the resolver then has to make
> another query to the TLD's name server.  If the TLD's name server is far
> away, slow or not responding, having a local copy of the root zone isn't
> much help.  As a practical matter, it maybe *much* better to have a local
> copy of the .com zone than the root zone.

Yeah you are right, but it takes lesser process to have TLD name servers.
The closer the root servers, will definitely create an even 'more' closer
TLDs

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*