[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 01:38:04 UTC 2014

Mike,

all good points IMO. There should be a separate 2Net meeting for non-ICANN
Internet governance issues. It boggles the mind, doesn't it? OTOH it is
good for the Internet this way; it frees the APWG, M3AAWG and so many other
organizations from the encumberment of endless, fruitless circular
discussion and leaves them free to actually fix something.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Mike Roberts <mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us> wrote:

> Brazil is an IG meeting and we need to distinguish between IG governance
> mechanisms and ICANN governance mechanisms.  They are not the same.
>
> Under the rubric of I* unified effort going forward toward a reformulated
> IG, post Brazil, then ICANN is one of the stakeholders, not the stakeholder.
>
> Which does raise the question, referred to below, of who speaks for the
> various DNS stakeholders in the I* consortium.
>
> Milton's assertion that the ICANN constituency groups have a voice
> superior to that of the Board's doesn't hold water.  Regardless of whether
> it is constituency positions, or the recommendation of the GNSO Council,
> these are only some of several voices which the Board must consider in
> arriving at a consensus ICANN policy position.
>
> From a legal perspective, which may or may not be valued by those on this
> list, only an approved Board resolution represents the position of the
> organization.
>
> - Mike
>

> On Feb 24, 2014, at 6:28 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> wrote:

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty