[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Feb 25 06:19:36 UTC 2014

On 24-Feb-14 23:41, Mike Roberts wrote:
>> From a legal perspective, which may or may not be valued by those
>> on this list, only an approved Board resolution represents the
>> position of the organization

 From a legal perspective yes.  And if ICANN is just another money
making corporation, that is indeed the way it should be and it should
only be the CEO and properly trained corporate mouthpeices speaking for it.

But from the multistakeholder PoV we keep selling ourselves, that is not
the way it should be, and not the fantasy most of us keep laboring under.

Unfortunately ICANN is more the standard corporation with a CEO who has
his own vision, with a Board that approves, instead of the
multistakeholder organization where that vision directs their actions.
That is, it may not be the organzation most of those volunteering in it
think it is.

So yeah, if it is not a multistakeholder organization led from the
bottom-up, legally is all that counts.

avri