[discuss] rootservers

Peter Koch pk at ISOC.DE
Tue Feb 25 10:23:38 UTC 2014

Bill,

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:11:11PM -0800, manning bill wrote:

> By definition, a root server, serves the global Internet, is designed to respond to queries generated from -EVERYWHERE- on the global Internet.

we know that you know that this is true for the letter (as in, e.g., "B")
but not necessarily for a particular instance of the letter in an anycast cloud(*).
In fact, the various anycast operational models allow for more or less sharply
bounded coverage, especially within a single AS.  Such instances are _not_
expected to answer queries from everywhere, simply because they are not
expected to receive the traffic in the first place.
It's already hard enough to separate the wheat from the chaff.

-Peter

(*) for those that do deploy anycast