[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Feb 25 15:55:23 UTC 2014

I believe I'm part of that work that Steve refers to (and if not, I'm pleased to say that there are multiple efforts). I'm part of a working group that is trying to find ways for the GAC and GNSO to work together more effectively.

While I have every confidence that that work will lessen the policy conflicts between the GAC and ICANN policy bodies such as the GNSO, such efforts certainly won't resolve all of the policy issues previously noted with the GAC.

Many of the issues with the GAC come down to the issue that the GAC is constructed (as is usual within multi-lateral bodies) based on the principle that governments have a unitary policy position that can be represented by a single official representative. Governments are frequently not unified in their policy positions, and this is frequently apparent within ICANN and other IG processes. I don't think this issue can be addressed with the current GAC structure. But we can create a process in which policy divisions between the GAC and other bodies are identified, and hopefully at least somewhat resolved, much earlier in the process, and so the Board is forced into the role of policy adjudicator/negotiatior less often.

Regards

David