[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Tue Feb 25 23:48:19 UTC 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 6:38 PM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> If I understand you correctly, in a nutshell, the Californian law, entangled into the US law, obliges the ICANN board to act in the best corporation interest.

Yes.  But "best interest of the corporation" includes meeting its purpose of existence and its bylaws.  ICANN is a not for profit organization.  It does not exist to maximize its income or profits.

> , This puts it in competition with the internet community (whatever this community may legally be) since ICANN receives no money from users.

This statement is simply wrong.  It does not follow from anything and is not consistent with the purpose or bylaws of ICANN.

> Therefore; the ICANN mecanism obliges the Board to make money on the members of member of the ICANN community (non-ccTLD registries and registrars) without any consideration for the end users.

This statement is also wrong.  It's a conclusion drawn from an incorrect premise.

> The alibi to get that money is to organise the RSS that is provided pro bono. This RSS making sens because the Internet is supposed to have a single authoritative root file and ccTLDs are on the ICANN root file what justfiies the GAC. An house of cards.

ICANN runs one of the thirteen root server constellations.  ICANN has no say in who runs any of the instances in the other twelve constellations.  In ICANN's own constellation, the L-root, pretty much anyone who signs up to participate is welcome to do so.

> Now, let assume another governance model where a group of three voluntary people (so there is one active if one is sick and the other on vacations) with two PCs, one in the RSS (Bill Manning has documented that a root-server may cost $ 200) and the other with excel and a mail agent. They keep a list of the TLD managers where people can register and resolve domain names for $ 10 per annum. They provide this list to ISPs and to anti-virus providers, to keep people updated and protected. On the excel table they also maintain from time to time a list of IPv6 beigning with the ISO 3166 numeric codes that ccTLD can allocate in their country.

This doesn't begin to deal with the myriad of real issues that have to dealt with.

Steve