[discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 3, Issue 67

Francis Augusto Medeiros francis at francisaugusto.com
Wed Feb 26 10:03:43 UTC 2014

Dear all - I'm just resending this mail to the list, as I mistakenly sent it only t

Don,

Thanks for your mail. Just to clarify this: you're saying that there has never been the use of the root in enforcement actions (ie, by the use of court orders). Could it be just because there's just no need for that right now? I mean, your conclusion is based on the lack of those acts, rather than in court decisions stating that the root is not subject to those orders, right?

Two things are important in this discussion:

1 - registries were considered imune to court orders regarding blocking/seizure/forfeitures of domain names, as we always saw that registrars would be the ideal place for this. Of course, judges thought differently, and we saw lots of orders ordering those acts on registries on the last two years;

2 - Considering that gTLDs will now be a representation of trademarks, and considering that ACPA talks about "other domain name authority" as subject to a in rem action concerning domain names, and consider also the .web lawsuit against ICANN;

Don't you think that there is in fact space for courts to enforce their decisions directly on the root? I know it will still not practical for a lot of reasons, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched, does it?

All the best,

Francis