[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Feb 27 12:55:01 UTC 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 1:52 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> But, when a Board makes a decision to move ahead in the face of deadlock, the people have to have a method of recourse and that is the point at which voting a Board out of office has to be possible.
>
> But again, the Board making a decision without the prior consensus of the community has to be extremely rare and has to meet at least several conditions:
>
> - the community has to have failed to recommend
> - there has to be a reasonable pressing need for the decision to be made.
> - there has to be a way to respond to community outrage by voting the Board out.

Avri -

  Nicely said - while the Board may indeed have to take unexpected action
  on a matter the behalf of the community in absence of community consensus,
  the community is protected from misuse only if afforded the opportunity
  to hold the Board accountable for such decisions.

/John

Disclaimer: My views alone (although obviously similar to Avri's :-)