[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

Elisabeth Blanconil info at vgnic.org
Thu Feb 27 17:27:42 UTC 2014

At 16:37 27/02/2014, Don Blumenthal wrote:
>We¹re having enough confusion with technical definitions on this list.
>Let¹s not add legal jargon to the mess.
>
>The term ³mortmain² has meaning in US law. I never have seen ³main-morte,²
>and the definition that you suggest for the term is not what mortmain
>means here.

"Here?"   We are discussing global issues.
This is how a no-member corporation qualifies
"over here". That you never saw does not disqualify reality.

The issue is the purpose of ICANN. The reason why
it was incorporated in California under a statute
used by golf-clubs was quite disputed. The author
explained and justified the choice. This choice
is obviously not in line with what ICANN does.
This is why there is a need to reorganize ICANN
(something they seem to call globalization and to define).

> >http://archive.icann.org/en/comments-mail/comment-bylaws/msg00025.html
> >http://osaka.law.miami.edu/~amf/individuals.htm

Lawyers terminology rhetoric is fine but at the
end one has to come to the meaning.

We techies are dumb stupid. A term equals a
meaning. We loop process them with "if then else"
until it makes sense. ICANN as one of the VGNICs
makes sense; otherwise it does not. This is what
we identified as the BUG (being unilaterally
global), and bugs are to be fixed. This is what
we do in the best interest of *our* operations.

You do what you want: this is the Internet. As
Michel Gauthier reminded it, you have to be
conservative in what you say (you speak of what
you know, we speak of what we know in the proper
terms) and be liberal in what you receive (you
try to understand the others' terms and not to
censoor them according to your vocabulary).
Otherwise networking does not work and you are
by-passed by innovation (in this case, pure
continuation of a 35 years old politically over-delayed project).

Cheers!
Hebe