[discuss] Communication of the European Commisson: "Internet Policy and Governance - Europe's role in shaping the future of Internet Governance"

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Fri Feb 28 09:58:01 UTC 2014

Dear JFC,

my apologies for reacting so late to your email. Not only I have been
busier than usual at work and with some annoying health issues in the
family (people with kids will understand...) but the Communication on
Internet Policy and Governance has generated quite some interest and I am
trying to participate in discussions across different lists / communities.

Before I go on, let me say that (without any intent to be or sound
offensive) I find it difficult to understand your writing. I have the
distinct impression that there is quite some "background systemic thinking"
behind your positions, but I'm always unsure whether I interpret the terms
you use in the way you intend them to be interpreted.

So, generally speaking, it would be very useful if you could point me at
some sort of "glossary" to make sure I do not inadvertently misinterpret
your words.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

>  At 16:07 12/02/2014, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
>
> I would like to let you know that today (12 February 2013) the European
> Commission has adopted its formal policy position on Internet governance,
> via a Communication to the European Parliament, the Council, the European
> Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: "Internet
> Policy and Governance - Europe's role in shaping the future of Internet
> governance" (COM(2014) 72/4).
>

> Dear Andrea,

[SNIPPING A LOT]

I do not understand whether you agree with the objectives the European
Commission put forth in the Communication on Internet Policy and
Governance. In any case, if I understand correctly, your suggestion would
be to:

- focus not on the "present governance ideal mechanisms" but rather on the
technology that will make them mandatory;
- include all the stakeholders' concerns, starting with the technical,
industrial, and commercial concerns;
- review, correct and harden the technology for crime and snooping to be
more costly than their rewards;
- bring back ICANN under FCC influence instead of "military-industrial
NSA/NTIA";
- develop a "world digisphere enhanced cooperation organization";
- "confirm" the above-mentioned organisation via a multilateral treaty.

Do I understand correctly your proposals?

Best,

Andrea

P.S.: since my reply is coming quite late, I'm leaving JFC's original
message below for reference, apologising for the extra bytes of traffic.

Unfortunately, the root of their thinking is outdated because the
> [...]
> through Sao Paulo and be a stakeholder there, as a stakeholder
> representative.
>
> * as being co-networks' owners within the internet network of networks,
> informed/independent IUsers must organize themselves and their IUse
> (internet intelligent use) on an MS basis in a way that they can
> individually trust:
>
> (1) their IANA files and functions
> (2) their intertech multitechnology support (requiring network neutrality:
> the recent US Judge decision on the matter, actually creates two internets).
> (3) their interuse extended functors (OSI presentation layer six and
> above).
> (4) their IP usage until the operating system (posix) and networking
> protocols (RFCs) have converged into an open free (netix) standard
> continuity acknowledged by ISO.
>
> As a consequence, the MS IG can only be organized, at this stage, in/by
> targeting an ultimate convergence of MS transitional efforts, most probably
> documented through the preparation of a multilateral MS based treaty on an
> international Internet use codes (people, institutions and commerce) and
> world digital organization.
>
> In the meanwhile the common concern should be ethitechnical, i.e. how to
> review, correct and harden the technology for crime and snooping to be more
> costly than their rewards in the context of:
>
> * the commonly accepted aesthetic, the WSIS unanymously defined as being a
> "people centered" information society.
> * the technological emergence of intellition, as the relational
> intelligence between data that permits to infer non communicated
> information and obsoletes snooping,
>
> There is a paradox at willing to change the nature of the IG and preserve
> the technological and and the political status-quos. This is why I plan to
> engage in the HomeRoot *experimentation*** (along ICANN ICP-3 demands)
> because its very nature (Libre's continuation of the IETF architecture,
> without proprietary constraint of any kind) obliges the resulting
> Intertech/Interuse fringe to fringe strata to be technically,
> operationnally, and to some extent economically, governed on an MS basis.
>
> The interest of an European experimentation is that in addition to be
> multistakeholder and multitechnology it will be multilinguistic, and
> therefore include IDNA from the very begining, an ISO layer 6 presentation
> job.
>
> jfc
>
> The press release of the adoption is available at
> http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-142_en.htm .
> The text of the Communication is available at
> http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/cf/dae/document.cfm?doc_id=4453.
> The statement by Neelie Kroes, Vice-President of the European Commission
> and Commissioner for the Digital Agenda, is available at
> http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player.cfm?ref=I086325 .
> I hope you find this information useful and the content of the

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro