[discuss] IPv6 Deployment and IG

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Thu Jan 2 13:54:10 UTC 2014

Hello Brian,

On 2013-12-25, at 23:23 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The IPv6 deployment rate may not be issue (if one accepts market-based
>> deployment model) but "IPv6 deployment" still has significant potential
>> for issues in consumer confusion, indirect net neutrality implications,
>> tracking issues for law enforcement due to widespread CGN use, and more.
>> I do not think that "IPv6 Deployment" can be readily dismissed as a
>> potential topic rich with Internet governance/coordination implications.
>
> It's that conflation -- "governance/coordination" -- that gives me
> heartburn. Technical coordination is one thing, and doesn't need the
> intervention of governments. Governance is another thing; it may need
> the intervention of governments. Lumping the two things together
> is very problematic.

It is but I think finding a way to build a sincere, functional and sustainable bridge between the two is one of our major challenge. Coordination as good as it can be will have some indirect impact on Polic_Decision/Governance and vice versa. So instead of getting stuck on the conflation can we look into how we design the bridge?

- a.