[discuss] Time to be more precise about Internet Governance

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jan 2 19:59:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 02-Jan-14 14:42, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> What is a little special about the gTLD market is that it is
> entirely artificial; it has no physical need to exist (unlike
> the radio spectrum market, which shares out a finite physical
> resource). Actually I have always been amazed that people ever
> fell for the belief that a gTLD name has value; it's very much
> akin to believing in fairies. The closest analogy I can think of
> is the vanity plate market.

I have often heard this some of opinion of new gTLDs.  And of course to
some extent you may be right.  I would contend that there are names that
can serve the public interest that might actually be more than vanity if
they are allowed to serve communities.  And most businesses consider
their brands more than vanity, but you may be right.

Does this analysis also extend, in your opinion, to the
Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)?

avri