[discuss] ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Fri Jan 3 09:21:57 UTC 2014

Hi Avri,
At 22:03 02-01-2014, Avri Doria wrote:
>In some cases we have an ICANN specific problem, but ICANN is not an
>island and its policy decisions have effects that reach beyond the
>simple decisions made in ICANN.  At the simplest level of
>interactions there are the technical requirements it is starting to
>relay to the IETF for various improvements.  Then there are
>techno-policy problems, such as the inability to map one variant
>name to another that leak into the social sphere.  And of course
>there are identification problems that create needs for new weird
>registration directory protocols and practices.

What was relayed to the IETF are policy requirements and not
technical requirements.  I would characterize the requirements as
being about what name should be chosen for the protocol.  If I recall
correctly there wasn't any requirement about security or
privacy.  There are some problems such as the variant issue to which
there isn't one technical solution.  As for registration directory
practices, people point out that it is a policy matter and as such it
is not a matter for a technical venue.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy