[discuss] limitation of mails per day?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Jan 3 16:49:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

  I am going to use one of my 4 to indicate that while I will endeavor
to comply, I think it is a bad idea.

- already today, I notice shifting discussions off list.  Long threads
are what happens as one digs deeper into a topic using a conversational
email mode.  Yes, it can also happen when people are ping-ponging
accusatory cruft,  but that is not the only reason it happens.
Sometimes the meat of a subject only comes out after a dialogue has gone
on for bit and gotten beyond the banalities.

- how do you balance the contributions of those who write long epistles,
with those who contribute short comments.  Should we count words too?
Do we need Thomas' email stats tool which seems a good behavioral
throttle? Or are we only trying to save people from having unread
messages as opposed to having them read too much?

- if one is asked a question, do they just respond privately?

- what about when there are more than 4 threads?  Should we combine
multiple threads in one message in order to keep our message count low?

- what is a day?  Does the message I sent at 1am EST before going to bed
count with today's messages (I will assume it does - this is my third).
Or do we do our calculations of 4/day using UTC?  Or maybe we use Jewish
rules and count from sundown?

- to what extent will some people decide that if they get 4 messages a
day, well then they are going to use them.  Even if they have nothing to
say.

Oh, well.

avri