[discuss] ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Jan 3 19:45:12 UTC 2014

But the simple fact is, Demi, that ICANN is tainted by this special and unilateral relationship.

I gather this is probably one of the reasons the Montevideo statement includes the following

“They called for accelerating the globalization of ICANN and IANA functions, towards an environment in which all stakeholders, including all governments, participate on an equal footing.”

I also suggest this was also the prime original motivator for ICANN approaching Brazil as regards the forthcoming summit.

We can talk about layers and dissect and theorise as much as we like, but this widely  perceived problem has to be dealt with one way or another, and it is a problem with governance of ICANN.  Best we come up with a good way to deal with this.

Ian Peter