[discuss] Subjects IG other than ICANN, IETF, IPv4-6

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 03:04:27 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 05:34, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> There seems to be a great deal of discussion about the more traditional IG subjects, but not much about the new realities imposed upon the entire field by the Snowden revelations. This seems to me to be a bit of missing the forest for the trees.
>
> IG is now a head-of-state level issue because of surveillance,

If you review the Snowden revelations, you can clearly see that
this is not by any means exclusively an Internet issue. The topic
is Surveillance governance, covering all forms of telecommunications
(and for that matter, surveillance of paper correspondence to the
extent that it still exists).

The link with the issues commonly described as Internet governance
is fairly weak; the link with Internet security and privacy technology
is strong, of course.

   Brian