[discuss] Academic sector appointments to the 1net steering committee from multiple platforms

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jan 7 06:36:56 UTC 2014

On Monday 06 January 2014 01:53 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Time for someone to call your bluff. Is your CI community civil
> society or academic? You now claim that either one will do. That seems
> to expose this whole effort of yours as nothing more than a vehicle
> for getting yourself on a committee.
>
> CI describes itself as concerned with ICTs and their impact on
> community, especially local communities. That's an interesting and
> perfectly legitimate set of interests, but it is far more general than
> the issues we are concerned with and fairly remote from global
> internet governance (unless of course, you want to perpetuate the
> fallacy of calling anything and everything related to the Internet as
> part of global internet governance.)

Milton,

I am unable to understand why a nuanced understanding of contracts
between registries and registrars is more about IG, than is to
understand and articulate how the Internet is impacting the
informational, communicative and associational ecologies/ systems of
local communities. And from such an understanding derive the public
policy principles of what kind of kind of an Internet we want... Why do
think this is not about Internet governance? Would you please explain.

> Thus it not surprising that no one from this CI community has
> established a significant presence in ICANN, IGF, the RIRs, IETF or
> any of the other institutions directly engaged with IG.

Have you ever thought that such things also have to do with availability
of funds and other kinds of resources, which are not necessarily
directly proportional to the relevance of an issue to global IG...
although it may have to considerably do  with the relevance of the issue
to the interests of those who hold most funds.

As I said in my earlier email, if the new phase of global Internet
governance dialogue is not about coming out of the artificially created
insularities of the global IG space, and pushing out 'outside'
interests, when the Internet has in fact become the social
infrastructure for almost everything, then it simply wont lead anywhere.
In any case, it would not be a 'new phase' which the Brazilian
initiative had ignited the hope for among many.

parminder