[discuss] Patriot Act & Routing + TPIG question

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Tue Jan 7 07:43:09 UTC 2014

+1 Greg

I would add: there is a mistaken idea that traffic has to transit the USA in order for it to be accessible to the NSA. As news reports have made clear, this is not the case: there are listening stations in something like 80 countries, and the 5-Eyes countries are clearly providing data to one another of the nature referenced.

Creating rules that route traffic around entire countries is a truly terrible idea - for everyone. I leave it to some of the more technically expert to say why if they want (and it might do some of the non-technical on this list a service if someone does).