[discuss] ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:12:18 UTC 2014

On Jan 7, 2014, at 8:04 AM, David Cake <dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU> wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2014, at 6:32 am, Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> wrote:

Now I’m puzzled too.  To me public policy can be a form of governance——is US policy viz the root, IANA, ICANN, etc. not (global) IG?---or it may not be, e.g. stuff about applications of the net to particular functional problems, procurement, etc. that doesn’t establish generalizable principles, norms, rules, procedures, etc. affecting the net’s organization and use.  It depends on the substantive matters at hand, so neither hard national/global or policy/governance binaries work.

Bill