[discuss] Who will be in Brazil

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 16:34:58 UTC 2014

The meeting should definitely have webcast, given the fact that on site
participation will be limited. It should not be forgotten that the IGF 2007
in Brazil triggered a push for remote participation. Some ideas ventilated
in Rio on that occasion served as inspiration to the development of remote
participation in the IGF, which ultimately led to the organization of IGF
hubs, a successful model of engagement. RP was considered an integral part
of the IGF and is extensively used in other organizations, such as ICANN
and ITU. The conference in Brazil should live up to those experiences.

Practically, technical expertise from ICANN could be coupled with the IGF
model of RP, based on hubs. People gathered in the hubs could follow the
webcast from Rio and also discuss the topics on the agenda from their own
perspective. Discussions carried out in the hubs could be summarized and
documented, gathered after the conference, and should be part of the
documental history of the event. These documents could provide us all with
additional ideas on how to move discussions forward after Rio.

Ginger Paque, from Diplo, has sent a message to some folks offering the LOG
assistance with that. Diplo has extensive experience with RP and could
definitely help to find a model of integrating RP while also taking into
consideration that the meeting should have a manageable size. I also
volunteer to help, as a former member of the IGF Remote Participation
Working Group. I am sure others would be interested to make it happen as
well.

Best
Marília

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <CAH5D2GHdvZVg66HBBS5eLtWi7+0-+JgaWJSgpSZ3ok2+3eT-pA at mail.
> gmail.com>, at 11:12:35 on Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Jerry Blimo <
> jerryblimo at gmail.com> writes
>
>> Can anyone clearly and concisely state who is going to be at the meeting
>> in Brazil? Not just who the 20-odd people making the decisions will be, but
>> who else can go and participate/observe
>>

> No-one seems to have replied, so perhaps I can make an intervention along
> the lines of: "it's a long way to go to find the meeting room is too small
> to accommodate observers, but webcasting the entire thing is such an
> obvious thing to do, I'd be surprised if the organisers have overlooked it".
> --
> Roland Perry

*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio

Researcher and Coordinator
Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate
www.diplomacy.edu