[discuss] a Drunken Boat? [was Subjects IG other than ICANN, IETF, IPv4-6]

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Tue Jan 7 23:25:29 UTC 2014

At 22:56 07/01/2014, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>The fact that the NSA and its collaborators have been conducting
>surveillance has nothing to do with the administration of Internet
>technical resources.

Brian,

as I tried to explain it to you, the question is not to know if the
administration of the Internet technical resources by ICANN and RIRs
etc. has something to do with the NSA surveillance, but if the way
the internet technical architecture has been designed, used and
managed untl now (i.e. the IAB architectural status-quo oriented
technical governance strategy, while other technological
possibilities were developping) has or not helped or even obliged the
NSA (public/private) national and international surveillance competition.

You are right. The NSA and its collaborators have only carried their
job. The question is: has the IAB carried its own job, and if the
response is "no", why? and will the change resulting in the IAB,
IETF, W3C, IEEE, ISOC new paradigm adequate? Is the way adopted by
Fadi Chehade after Montévideo adequate? This way incudes a discussion
in Sao Paulo prepared among Govs and by the I*people /1Net list. What
is the target of this meeting? Who is to speak there on behalf of the
/1net lack of consensus, about what and with who?

Last question: if the Sao Paulo preparation, representation,
conclusions are disapointing what are the risks? For who?

All this start making me think to a Drunken Boat.
MG