[discuss] Transiting e-mails

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Wed Jan 8 00:27:34 UTC 2014

At 00:05 08/01/2014, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Michel, it isn't a question of caring or not caring. The issue is
>technical: the Internet is a datagram network, not a circuit-switched
>network, and in a datagram network the sender has no control over the
>path taken by the packet, which is determined dynamically inside the
>network.

Brian,
I am sorry: this is a not an adequate response.

1. the question is: how users can specify their needs and get their
interests represented and defended? There is no consumer organization
in the IG nor on /1net.

2. this question is illustrated by a vital case with a double
suggestion for a solution:
     - the first suggestion calls for a more advanced routing management
     - the second suggestion calls for a modification of the packets
that could be used to support in international cyberwar convention.

If something which is needed by users is not technically possible in
the current status of a technology, it is up to ist designers to work
out a technical solution. As a user I am not interested in your best
effort but in the delliverable. If it turns out that the technical
community does not know how to deliver, or does not bother, an
alternative must be seeked in calling on competition. This is what
the lack of interest in the users' demands by the IAB leads to.

Users wants a solution to be protected from private/public NSAs'
surveillance. You say that the IAB/IETF cannot do it (while others
say otherwise). Users therefore want an alternative proposition. This
is why their Govs first look at the ITU. The US oppose. Then they to
their own national R&D capacities. The users also ask FLOSS
architects and designers. The I*people do not own the bandwidth: the
users pay for it.

This is why the question is: will the balkanization of the internet
result from the IAB governance? If people do not trust the internet
anymore it is because they trust the NSA, as being fully able to make
it insecure. Why is the NSA able to do it so easily? Whose fault? The
internet is broken, who can fix it? What is the cost? If the fault is
with the IAB governance, can we trust the IAB governance to fix it?

I do not know what Sao Paulo will really be about. Someone asked
today: will Sao Paulo find plumbers for the Internet, outside of the
Watergate ones? I think this is the whole question everyone has.

I am sorry to be tought and thought provoking. But we need
constructive answers, now: because alternative R&D and transition
call for time.. We (the world) need to know if there is some able
skippers in the cockpit, or if they just do not have the answers
because it is too complicate.

MG