[discuss] Where to discuss privacy issues 1Net? [ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"]

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Jan 8 03:57:47 UTC 2014

	Interests in ICANN and privacy aren't exactly mutually exclusive, either (he says the day after his first weekly phone meeting for the ICANN GNSO Privacy and proxy provider accreditation working group for the year).
A lot of privacy related discussion goes on within ICANN.  But it isn't about privacy in the abstract, it is mostly about specific issues related to WHOIS and registrant data, which can manifest in a whole bunch of ways. For example, privacy was a big point of discussion related to recent changes to the registrar agreement, specifically how registrant verification provisions related to national privacy obligations, etc.
	There are some very important privacy discussions happening at ICANN, and I'd urge anyone with a strong interest in privacy policy to get involved. We could do with a few more. Many of us spend a lot of our ICANN time looking at privacy issues.

	Regards

		David