[discuss] My current understanding of scope and why

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Wed Jan 8 07:22:06 UTC 2014

Dear Jorge,

Just because surveillance issues are several layers above the Internet, to paraphrase you, doesn't mean that governments won't choose policy options related to the Internet to deal with surveillance that are harmful (for all kinds of reasons, including in some countries a desire to control content to protect their regimes).

Therefore, the Internet community has to reachout to them to explain why the Internet is not the problem and what they can do to solve the actual problems. Who else has the knowledge about the Internet to intervene and be credible?