[discuss] [IRPCoalition] [governance] Meeting in São Paulo on Friday, January 10th, is between the LOG and 1Net

Joe Alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Thu Jan 9 16:17:52 UTC 2014

Colleagues:

Since the who and what of Friday's meeting remain a bit confused, I thought it might be useful to set out some concepts which I feel should be addressed.  While these are my comments and not consensus comments of business stakeholders these are issues which have been discussed in various business groups so I think they are broadly representative.

1.	 There is no way that any stakeholder group can be sufficiently represented by the handful of persons that are allowed to serve as representatives.  As such, I believe that these representatives should only act as liaisons. In light of this liaison status, the main function of these representatives in my view is to be present in meetings and take back issues to the broader stakeholder group for consensus decisions on response and parameters for action.

2.	In light of the liaison nature of the representatives, I would suggest that somewhat detailed  agendas are formed and published in advance of meetings to allow consultation with the broader group before the meeting and that detailed reports of the meetings are issued to assure a common understanding of discussions, outcomes, and action items.  Finally time needs to be provided between meetings to allow for consultation and development of consensus.

3.	All stakeholders from Bali onwards have indicated a substantial interest in not just mutlistakeholder consultation, but multistakeholder participation.  While working groups may need to have numerical limits for efficiency, the decision-making process and the actual meeting in Brazil need to have broad multistakeholder participation.  This includes appropriate consideration of how to assure participation for stakeholder representatives from less and least developed economies in the Brazil meeting.

4.	We should use our collective experience in the IGF and other international meetings on how to best assure interactive participation to the Brazil meeting for remote participants.

5.	Greater clarity and transparency needs to be provided related to chairing roles of the Brazil meeting and how they factor multistakeholder input and assure mutlistakeholder participation/representation.

While these are not logistics coordination issues per se, they are needed process assurances and clarifications which need to be put in place in the very near term.

Best-

Joe