[discuss] [governance] ICANN and WEF (was: Re: [bestbits] Fwd: Heads up on Brazil meeting preparation)

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Fri Jan 10 07:13:34 UTC 2014

I would certainly not go into a conspiracy here. I would simply emphasize the fact that at the time the enormous pressure on him was certainly not of great help regarding his personal health. You are right to say that Postel just passed away, like we will all do. His 'exit' is not about his death by underlies the way he was taken off the Internet pre-historic governance road. In the months before his passing away, the overall 'governance' went through a complete reshuffle. As he resisted the move, Postel went through a rather hard time, facing Magaziner's assignment to transform the by-then governance of the Internet into something different, something that could be given to the USG, which would officially give it back to a new entity labeled ICANN. Had the USG to take into its hands, and anymore right to give to a Californian non profit with no check and balance except from the Department of Commerce? Since then ICANN has never proved strong enough to become independent from its master. This wrong turn in digital history has been more than documented but that many tend to ignore. So I feel I can stop here on that.

I do not see conspiracy here, but plain politics and power game.

That sounds to me like having a fresh memory is very useful when we think of building a new system of governance in the context of international data and meta-data. As the concentration of power is highly asymmetrical, we can obviously expected a strong resistance to changing the status quo. Very common sense. Not true?

Until, people will call a cat a cat in the current debate, I do not see much progress coming.

Would you say the Brazilian/Icann conference is a model of good governance? When I look at 1net, it looks like proof of the contrary. Do you see a conspiracy there? Usual politics I would say. Brazil has certainly something to win by giving away an initial conference called by a very upset Rousseff. We will soon enough learn about what is the bargain. Now we have more or less a Brazilian/Icannesque roadshow. Brazil will launch its digital magna carta and more or less nothing will change. Nice job Dilma.