[discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jan 14 03:40:20 UTC 2014

On Monday 13 January 2014 10:08 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> Louis,
>
> A factual correction:
>
> On Jan 13, 2014, at 5:38 AM, Louis Pouzin (well) <pouzin at well.com> wrote:
>> [ICANN] is supposedly responsible of internet security.
> No.
>
> ICANN is responsible for the security and stability of the Internet's system of unique identifiers that it coordinates.  This is obviously a subset of "Internet security".
>
> Everyone is responsible for their own security on the Internet.  Relying on third parties to be responsible for your security on the Internet is what facilitates activities such as those disclosed by Edward Snowden.

Like allowing one's data to be stored in or flow through the US, a
country where non US citizens have no legal right or recourse? Like
letting the DNS security architecture to be centralized and be in the
hands of US gov where again one has no legal right or recourse? I
completely agree. This situation needs to be remedied.. Should be the
priority number one of the Brazil meeting..

parminder