[discuss] Interesting article

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Tue Jan 14 13:38:55 UTC 2014

Nick,
As someone, who has lived through two (May be even three) different
economic and political systems, I cannot agree with you on the lack of
credibility. There's no perfect country, but there are countries that learn
from their (bad/good) experience. And countries that don't. Same with
people. The way the Internet is coordinated has nothing to do with what Mr.
Snowden has revealed. I still ask people to go and read at
www.president.eethe speech the Estonian president gave on June 8, 2012
at a cyber
conference in Estonia (on iPhone too difficult to find it but perhaps
someone can publish the URL?).
Let us now try to take a blame - we, who have been developing the
multistakeholder model, and have managed to keep governments engaged to a
degree that helped our people (in my case - Bulgaria) get affordable and
fast Internet - we are not into the NSA/any-other-agency business.
Yes, this is being used by some to claim there's a need for an oversight
function of the ITU or another UN body over the Internet. But, besides the
rhetoric, I have not seen any evidence or fact how this will improve the
speed, accessibility to services, quality or price of Internet access. With
7 million population and about 2000 Internet service providers in Bulgaria,
I think we, at ISOC-Bulgaria, who made that possible through legislation
changes, do not feel guilty and cannot take any blame for something some
agency has or hasn't done in the USA.

--
Best,
Veni

***
The opinions expressed above are those of
the author, not of any organizations,
associated with or related to him in
any given way.
***

== Sent from my phone, so any spelling mistakes are caused by the
touchscreen keyboard.