[discuss] Another couple of items

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jan 14 16:13:20 UTC 2014

In message
<CAMzo+1a5Ei0dq0quAP=FTPaQoGH8paAaHc33JRyG0Yvr+H=gFg at mail.gmail.com>, at
09:42:44 on Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> writes

>>  One alternative is to take actions to increase the costs of sending SPAM
>>
>> I don't think we have the time or energy to re-run the entire debate about
>> what might or might not be a good way to reduce Spam, but that is widely
>> understood not to be a solution.
>
>Some law enforcement agencies around the world have been very effective
>making it more difficult (and costly) to send SPAM.

I always thought the Japanese were ahead of the game here, but I see
they are at about number 5 in the national league tables (USA top
source, as usual).

http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries/

>If you don't have the time or energy to participate on some debates and
>exchanges of ideas nobody is forcing you,

Frankly, after spending many years involved in the anti-spam community,
I'm trying to give myself a bit of a rest from the topic.

>but in some operational areas it continues to be an open dialog and
>exchange of ideas and techniques to further reduce the volume SPAM that
>as reported by different sources has been in a steady decline over the
>past few years.

The figures I've seen say it's "reducing" and is now 'only' about 70% of
all email. But I'm sure it's being much more effectively targeted, so
probably getting more dangerous all the time. I imagine that a trend
towards instant messaging of various kinds might be reducing the overall
amount of email (it is for me, anyway).
--
Roland Perry