[discuss] Another couple of items

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jan 14 16:23:02 UTC 2014

In message <52D55E15.7010404 at acm.org>, at 10:56:05 on Tue, 14 Jan 2014,
Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>> I don't think we have the time or energy to re-run the entire debate
>> about what might or might not be a good way to reduce Spam, but that is
>> widely understood not to be a solution.
>
>To be clear, i wasn't actually trying to solve the problem in this
>space, or even suggesting it was an item this group should discuss.

I agree, this is not the place to discuss solutions, but we should be
aware of it as an issue on the table which has significant governance
implications.

> I was more just using it as a example of an physical world issue that
>is transformed by the Internet and affected by the way in which it has
>been instantiated in the Internet, from both a protocol and policy
>perspective.

And we should do the same for any other physical world issues which have
been enormously magnified by the "force of the Internet". Such as
stalking - which no longer requires people to lurk in the rain outside
their victim's house, and stick creepy notes under their windshield
wiper; they can do a hundred times more effective information gathering
and attacking, online from the comfort of their sofa.
--
Roland Perry