[discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jan 14 19:52:57 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
>And despite writing this, while he advocates for the root to be freed
>from US's executive authority, he is not ready to also free it from US's
>legal and legislative authority.

Wrong. This is typical of why people disengage from discussions with you, Parminder. I've chased you around this circle several times. I've explained times that moving ICANN from California law to some other jursidiction is not necessarily a gain for either the accountability or the autonomy of ICANN. ICANN could remain in the US and have some kind of host country agreement that exempted it from US legislative interventions; by the same token it could be moved to Geneva and lack all accountability to anyone. You have to propose something specific that is demonstrably better. If you do, or someone else does, I am quite receptive to it. Your response has always been just "international law under the UN" which means dozens of additional nation-states, including the US, set the terms.  Anyway, I have an open mind for practical proposals

>Milton, I may be wrong in characterising the implication of the
> ICANN globalisation/ internationalisation proposal that you advocate,
> in which case please do correct me....

Consider yourself corrected.
I am working on a proposal for the Brazil meeting btw.

--MM