[discuss] Who is responsible for security

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Jan 14 22:54:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:17:03PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

> And do you think motor car suppliers should provide the facilities
> to train all drivers be able to perform the 10,000 mile service?

To follow your analogy, no; but I _do_ expect my dealer to charge me
when I go in for the service, or else to bury it somehow in the price
of the car.  What you seemed to be arguing in the rest of your
message, by comparison, was that many Internet users expect the
service to be performed, for free, in the middle of the night, in
their driveway, by invisible elves, so that the car buyer need never
think about it.  Also, that they can buy a 1974 Pinto and get the
safety, convenience, and reliability of a 2013 Honda Accord.
Notwithstanding http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html, I think
those are unrealistic expectations.

Best regards,

Andrew